Sunday, May 3, 2009

April 23rd, 2009

A day I will never forget!  I had an appointment that morning for my non-stress test and internal.  This was a Thursday.  I had one a few days ago on Monday, and Paige didn't do so hot the first time, but after a coke, her heart looked better.  On these tests, they are looking for accelerations in her heartbeat.  It prints out on a little paper, and you are looking for it to rise at least 10 beats per minute (so Paige normally is around 145, but on her accelerations, we wanted to seem them go up to 155 or greater).  This needs to happen every few minutes during this test.  This is done to make sure baby is still thriving in the womb.  Accels mean baby is active.  A happy and thriving baby is active in the womb.  I was getting ready to leave for the appointment around  8 AM, and I had a weird feeling.  We had gone to the art's festival the day before, and I felt like crap the whole time.  Not only that, but Paige was so still the whole day.  I decided to pack my hospital bag and put it in the car.  Just an instinct, I guess.  I start my non-stress test (NST) at 8:45.  Failed the first.  Drink a coke, fail the second.  Get up and walk around, drink more the third.  Dr. Decides to send me for a biophysical profile (BPP).  This is an ultrasound that checks on baby's well being.  I called David and had him come to the hospital to meet me, because I was so panicked.  Paige failed her BPP.  Dr. came in to talk to us, and basically said that the baby's heart is beating, but it is time for her to come out.  I was a little over 38 weeks, but it had come to a point where Paige would do better on the outside than on the inside.  I was nervous for her, but very excited that today would be her birthday! David went home to pack his back and grab the car seat (get your car seat installed at 37 weeks.  Trust me) while I checked in and got hooked up.  We excitedly called our family and friends, telling them Paige was coming today! 

Pitocin started at 1 PM.  I was already contracting every 5 minutes, but it wasn't painful.  Even adding the Pitocin didn't make it painful.  Dr. came in and broke my water around 2, when I was at a 3.  Then the pain started.  Back labor.  Oh my gosh, I can't even describe the pain.  I couldn't think or breath during contractions, which were happening every 2-3 minutes and lasting over a minute.  I had no time to rest.  I couldn't get my epidural until I was at a 4, so I was praying that was coming fast.  I got demerol through my IV, but all that did was make me feel drunk and high (which was nice, don't get me wrong - it just didn't help my pain).  I only felt contractions in my back.  I thought, there is no way I am going to make it through this.  When they say the pain is like nothing you have ever experienced, they were right.  FINALLY by 5 PM, I could get my epidural (so 4 hours of intense labor later).  It was painful trying to breath and stay still through contractions, but I knew it meant relief, so I was okay.  Fabulous.  Wonderful.  Epidural made me feel like a human again.  Friends and family were in the room, I talked, laughed, and really enjoyed this time.  Things started going south though, around 7 PM.  Paige started not tolerating labor well.  Her heart rate would drop as low as 90 BPM during contractions, and this was getting dangerous.  at 9, the OB said I am giving you until 11 to make some real progress, or we have to take her out.  At this point, I was so nervous about Paige's heart, I was fine with having a C-Section.  So at 11, when they checked me and I was still only at a 5, I was relieved.  I was ready.  From this point, everything happened pretty fast.  David got his scrubs on (so cute!), and they wheeled me into the operating room.  People all over the place scrubbing, messing with tools, it was crazy.  I started feeling nauseous and threw up three times.  I felt awful.  Violently shaking, cold, yet hot (strange I know), sick - and the sensations of a Section are very strange.  I felt like they were taking my organs out and rearranging them.  It wasn't painful, just very strange.  Keep in mind, but this point, I hadn't eaten since 6 AM that morning, and had just gone through 10 hours of nerve-wracking labor.  I was exhausted.  Paige was born at 11:18 PM, weighing 7 pounds 3 ounces and 20.5 inches long.  They showed her to me, but I really don't remember too much.  I remember seeing her head full of dark hair.  I remember crying.  Somehow I ended up back in my room, and holding her.  It was about an hour later that I first got to hold her.  I was shaking so badly and couldn't stop.  Due to the hour, my parents were the only ones up there with us, and I am glad it turned out that way.  It was a special time for us.  

They went home so I could sleep,  but it didn't really happen.  I shocked all the nurses when I got out of bed at 5 AM to shower.  Recovery from the C-Section was not bad at all.  Pain meds (orally and through and IV) were my allies.  So were my parents and friends.  They brought me food, flowers, and company during our hospital stay.  The room was filled with beautiful flowers.  My dad would run out and get me whatever I wanted.  One night, I was in the mood for Red Rock mashed potatoes and carrots, and dad ran right out and got it for me.

David.  David was amazing.  Still is.  He helped me shower, change my pads...everything.  What a great husband and father. 

Another great surprise:  David's parents from Texas weren't planning on coming for a week or two, but they surprised us and came to the hospital! We were thrilled and that meant a lot.

Life is blissfully crazy and tiring.  I wouldn't change it for the world!  I am happy that with (God willing, of course) baby #2, C-Section will be planned and I can skip all that drama : )

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I have tears reading htis - keep in mind at 24 weeks I am super emotional!- It makes me so anxious to meet out little one. So glas everyone is healthy and doing well.