Wednesday, October 22, 2008

12 weeks (and one day)...but who's counting?

The most dramatic development this week: Reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, his toes will curl, his eye muscles will clench, and his mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. His intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into his abdominal cavity about now, and his kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder. From crown to rump, your baby-to-be is just over two inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce. (Taken from my weekly BabyCenter.com emails)

The most interesting part to me, however, was when they said, “you probably won’t need to be in maternity clothes for several more weeks.” What they mean is, if you haven’t basically abandoned working out and don’t eat Sonic every day, you don’t need maternity clothes yet. I am the happy owner of a pair of Citizen maternity jeans, black maternity work pants, and two bella bands. And if someone can manage to pry the bag of Salt and Vinegar chips from my hands, I might go looking online for some more things. I love my pregnant body, and wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world!

In other baby news, we have an ultrasound on Monday. I am taking David with me this time. It is bad luck for him not to be there. I will be 13 weeks exactly, so I am not thinking they will take a guess at the gender. Wouldn’t that be fun if they did!? I am pretty sure we are having a boy, but I’d like the ultrasound tech to give me a second opinion.

1 comment:

Jill said...

How did you u/s go yesterday? Hope everything looks great with the baby.

LOL about the maternity clothes. Citizen maternity jeans (cool-didn't know they made them), black maternity work pants, bella bands, and especially Salt and Vinegar chips (my faves!) all sound like stuff I would definitely not be ashamed to sport at 12 weeks. You go girl!