Thursday, January 14, 2010

Went to the RE today

That is Reproductive Endocrinologist. He sat down with us for a good bit to review my history and talk about our options in expanding our family.

As a young, healthy woman, it is disheartening to him that my last IVF cycle went so poorly. Yes, we did get a pregnancy out of it (and a gorgeous baby!!), but the cycle in and of itself was not good. He would expect to see 70% fertilization rates with 3 or 4 embryos able to be frozen for future cycles. I had a 40% fert rate with none to freeze. For those not familiar with IVF, this is pretty bad. Especially considering that we got 18 eggs. Out of 18 eggs, only one was viable for pregnancy. Paige is such a miracle and I was reminded of that today.

He feels like IVF is the best way for us to go. We will be starting this spring! I am excited about the prospect of having a sibling for Paige and experiencing pregnancy again. I know I need to keep my emotions in check. Just because it worked the first time once, doesn't mean it will again. I need to keep a good balance of optimism and realism. This will be a huge challenge for me.

David is excited. He is such a rock for me during everything. Thank God for my amazing support system!

4 comments:

Jamie Dearle said...

We will be praying for you us! I have a great feeling Paige has a beautiful sibling in her future!!!

The Frasiers said...

Oh wow!! I can't believe you are about to start all this again! I hope it works out though and that Paige gets a little brother!

The Love's said...

I am a lurker (not a creepy one) and stumbled across your blog. I have made a resolution to lurk less and comment more,so...I think your posts are honest and sweet and love reading about your sweet girl, as I have 2 of my own(conceived the easy way). I am an RN, with a special interest in women's health and infertility. I wish you the best of luck with your latest journey.

Callie & Gerod said...

I am so glad that you are planning on getting Paige a sibling! We will keep you guys in our prayers through this process, and know that if you ever need to have a play date day so the kiddos can play and we can catch up and talk I am always available! Love you guys!!