Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Keeping it real

2 12 month old boys, post 4 shots each (MMR, chicken pox, some cough one - uggh, I suck and can't remember, and the flu shot booster), each with a runny nose, Braley with 2 molars coming in, Paige cooped up being home from MDO for the week...

I am spent. Sometimes, and I hate to admit this...but sometimes I feel like a bad mother. I look at my tiny little guy who is in pain and not feeling well, and I can snap at him and say, "STOP CRYING! What do you WANT?!?"

And with 3 kids, you would think that I would learn to roll with changes better, but I just can't. I like things to be black and white. I am a by the books person. I read all the books, I know how things are "supposed" to look, and I want them to look that way.

So when Braley won't drink milk when I think he should (you know, according to "the books") it sends me in to a tizzy (is that even a word? even if it isn't, trust me, seeing me frazzled with 3 young kids warrants the use of the word tizzy) and I just can't understand why he doesn't want to comply with the schedule. And I KNOW this is insane! I know that no one told HIM what my schedule was. No one told him he should be drinking X amount of milk, napping at X time, etc. These are all things I want them to do. And my pediatrician confirmed that he will take what he needs, and I know this - but try explaining that to a frustrated mom with 3 crying kids on her hands.

I typed this post out twice and deleted it. I mean, tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I'm not sounding very thankful. But, well, I like to keep it real.

Having some help for the next few days and hopefully the twins feeling better will bring brighter days. And I am excited to see the boys eat mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie for the first time. This is what it is all about, and I know that.

Thanks for reading, and happy thanksgiving!!

xoxo - Megan

1 comment:

kerry said...

One of the reasons I love reading your blog is that you DO keep it real. Being a mom is hard sometimes...it doesn't make anyone a bad mom to say that but I think so few people are willing to say anything bad for fear of judgment. Anyway, I have always liked your blog b/c you seem like a real person who is a great mom who deals with and writes about things I can absolutely relate to in many ways...so you remind me of a friend not of someone trying to be a faux super-mom person who never has a tough day (not that you're not a great mom...:)

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your lovely family!