Friday, May 21, 2010

IVF #2 stats

Meds:
*birth control pills for 3 weeks
*lupron during the last week
*Follistim and Menopur for stimming
- this differed from IVF #1. We just used Follistim the first time around. I really think it made a difference
*PIO after retrieval

Retrieval:
*20 eggs retrieved. I was so sore! And bloated!

Fert:
*19 mature eggs, 11 fertilized with conventional IVF. This is another difference from our first cycle. We did half ICSI/half conventional. I think this made a big difference as well.
*On day 3, we still had 9 that looked perfect. Crazyness! Our first cycle, we only had 2 left at this point.
*Day 4: all 9 going strong, however expanding slower than they would like. The embryologist decided to push us to a day 6 transfer to give them a chance to fully expand. Scheduled for 7 AM on Day 6 (a Monday morning).
*Day 5: got a call at 9 that morning saying they really picked up overnight and were ready! Could I be there in 30 minutes, please?
*Transferred 2 4BB blasts. The 4 means they were fully expanded. We were thrilled.

We said all along we were only going to transfer one if we made it to a day 5 transfer. We were counseled to transfer 2 the day of, however. AA is the best, AB second, BB third, BC fourth, CC last. Well - we just felt like BB was too risky to only put one back. So we did two. And are having twins! It was meant to be.

4 days past my transfer, I took a test (first response early result). It was start white negative. A few hours later, I took another (clearly, I had gone over to the crazy place). I thought I saw a faint line, but wasn't sure if I was imagining it. Left and went to lunch with Michelle and Adrianne (Michelle - this was the day we went to Saturn Grill and Quail Springs!) and walked around the mall. I was so hot. I knew something was up. Stopped by Wal-Mart (classy) and bought a digital test. PREGNANT!!! Holy Crap! I, of course, took about 10 more tests during the next week waiting for my beta.

Beta:
*9 days past transfer (14 days past ovulation): 280
*11 days past transfer: 530

First ultrasound:
*5 weeks 2 days: 2 sacs and 2 yolks!
*6w3d: 2 heartbeats
*8w2d: babies going strong!
*10w0d (at the OB): Perfect babies, measuring 10 weeks exactly.

Other info:
We have 5 frozen. FIVE. We froze nothing with our first cycle.

We don't know how to feel about this, though. We are finished having kids - assuming our twins make it. To each their own - but we am not comfortable having them destroyed. I am not sure how I feel about stem cell research. I am not sure how I feel about donating them to another couple. We will have some big decisions coming up.

But for now - we are focused on our growing family!! And couldn't be happier.

3 comments:

Lindsey B said...

I'm so glad the twin news it out!!! How exciting!

The Frasiers said...

OMG! I remember that day... Little did I know...

Tabitha said...

Praying for your family and the decisions that lay ahead! Congradulations!!