Friday, November 19, 2010


I didn't sleep at all the night before. Not surprising - I was anxious, excited, and just READY for it to be time. We checked into the hospital at 6:30 AM, signed several papers, and were brought back to our room. I was hungry and a bit nauseous, which I knew was a bad sign.

They hooked me up to the monitors, drew blood, started my IV, went over several things, and before I knew it, they were wheeling me back!

David had to answer a work email right as we were getting ready to go. Kind of funny: the nurse gave him his scrubs and told him to put them on. He had to go to the bathroom, so he walked back to go and put them on. The nurse felt the need to remind him to keep his clothes on. The scrubs just went on top. I laughed - and she said, oh you would be surprised at how many husbands walk out naked with only these thin scrubs on.

The OR was FREEZING. I was shaking and felt a little queasy. David was waiting outside with my mom. They got me on the table and the anesthesiologist went over the spinal block with me. They did the numbing shot and before I knew it, I couldn't feel my but. It was a very strange sensation. I didn't particularly like it. I laid back, and started to not be able to wiggle my toes. Again, it was strange and I didn't find it pleasant at all. This is when I started feeling sick. They had put an oxygen mask on me at some point, but I had to take it off so I could throw up. David came in (they make the husband wait until I am draped and the initial incision is made), and I was throwing up non-stop. I kept thinking - for the love of God, get on with this! I didn't think they had started yet, but then I heard the secondary surgeon announce, "we are at the babies!" I felt better for about a minute, until they started trying to pull baby A out. He was so engaged in my pelvis that they had to really pull. It was awful. I didn't feel the pain of it, but I felt the pressure and the motion of it. Kind of hard to explain, but all I know is I started throwing up again. Once he was out, I felt a lot better.

I was so happy to catch a glimpse of my baby boy A.

I kept all the gross pictures out of here : ) But we have them!

Jack came out very bruised and swollen from his position in my pelvis and due to the nature of how he had to be pulled out. : ( It broke my heart. But one of the nurses said, oh you should name him Jack. It is the "tough" name. So we said, "okay!" Plus, he just looked like Jack and our tiny baby looked like Braley. Jack was 6lb 3oz and Braley was a tiny 5lb 10oz

Braley on the left, Jack on the right

My dad, Papa, with his new grandsons.

My day on Tuesday: I can sum it up pretty easily: vomiting, shaking, body temp that couldn't get above 93, a blur of trying to breastfeed while vomiting, and the sheer joy of healthy baby boys. This is about as good as I managed to look on Tuesday.

Gran and Jack meeting Jack and Braley

A worn out daddy

Wednesday and Thursday were much better. Then we got discharged on Friday!

Sweet Braley
Tiny boys in their car seats

We got home as a family of 5 this afternoon. It is crazy and hectic. And pretty hard. But we are surviving! All three kiddos are sleeping right now and David and I are eating dinner, trying to relax, and watch the Thunder game. It will be time to bathe and feed the boys soon, and try and get some sleep!


Lindsey said...

I am crying reading this. I wish that I could come help - cook, clean, do dishes - anything so that you can just love on those boys.

I am so proud of you sweet friend! And so, so happy for your new family of 5!

Jenifer said...

They are adorable. I hope you are feeling much better now. I can't wait to watch these 2 sweet little boys grow. I want to see pictures of Paige meeting the boys in her cute little outfit!!

You had such an amazing pregnancy. What a blessing!! Good luck to y'all!!

Kristi said...

They are just precious! So glad to hear yall are home together as a family of 5!

Tabitha said...

Look at all of that hair...beautiful little boys!! And such a strong mama...What a happy ending and a new begining all in one post!!!

Just Me said...

Congratulations on the beautiful boys, and on finally having your "full house". You are all so blessed and lucky, I know that this has been a long hard journey, and I know that it isn't going to be easy anytime soon, but at least when you are up for the 12th time in a night you'll get to stare at their beautiful faces!

lparsons15 said...

Oh you poor thing, that sounds like a miserable experience, but you certainly got 2 gorgeous little boys out of the deal...Congratulations and I am so happy for you and David and your 3 beautiful children!