Saturday, August 21, 2010

L&D got a visit from us - as did the GMC dealer!

Before I tell this story, I'll start by saying that I know better.

I decided to take Paige to lunch and Gymboree by myself on Thursday. You think that these are simple things that can be done easily...but it really isn't. There is getting both of us dressed, getting the dogs outside. Oh wait, I forgot to put their food and water out there. Need to fill their outside dishes up. Chase after Paige who has run to play with her toys. Pick her up, get her in the car. Come back in, grab the diaper bag, my purse, my keys. Bring that to the car. Wait, where is my phone? I think it is in the bathroom. Run back to my bathroom and grab my phone and a water. Get up in the car and go. I have a 15 minute break to sit and drive. Get there, get the stroller out and unfolded. Get Paige out and in the stroller. Bend down and get her shoes on. Get some money out of my purse for lunch and grab the diaper bag.

Okay I could go on and on about how much bending, lifting, standing, sitting, etc., etc. there is, but I think you get it. By the time Gymboree was over, I was starting to really feel exhausted. I made it home and got her down for her nap and came to bed.

When my contractions come fast and furious like they were, I always know that they settle down with water and rest. But that day, they didn't. Hours went by and they weren't getting any better. My mom came over to help me get Paige out of her crib after her nap and let me continue resting until David got home from work.

Of course, if you know David, you know that he was so upset when he got home and discovered the state I was in. "Why did you go to Gymboree? Why can't you see that when you overdo it, this is what happens? Why haven't you called the doctor yet?" All valid points : )

By 7, we decided it was time to go to the hospital, as I was having a hard time breathing through my contractions now.

I thank God every day that my parents are here to help us. My mom took Paige home with her, so I didn't even have to worry about that. I knew she would give her a bath and get her down for the night with no problems. And Paige loves her grandparents!

We got to the triage floor and they hooked me up to the monitors and found I was contracting every 2-4 minutes. I wish I could describe how uncomfortable it is to lay flat on a table when you are massively pregnant with three monitors tightly strapped down to you (one for each baby and the contraction monitor). Oh, and factor in contractions every 2-4 minutes. I was nervous, uncomfortable...and I look in the corner, and David is playing Words with Friends on his iPad. Not cool. But he did offer to run out and get me a slush from Sonic, so that was nice!

After an internal and a fFN swab, we determined that these contractions were not sending me into early labor. fFN was negative and cervix still closed! Thank goodness! However, they weren't letting me go home until they got these contractions stopped. I got a shot of terbutaline in my arm, an IV bag of fluids, and some morphine to help relax me (and relax me it did!). Within 5 minutes, I was feeling better. And within an hour, I was basically contraction free. I was so happy to get home and in my bed.

I am really supposed to be taking it easy and I see my doctor on Monday to see where we go from here.

So rest, rest, and more rest is what I have been doing! With the exception of yesterday afternoon. We got a new car! Yay! It will fit our family of 5 very well. I think I look funny in it, seeing as I am barely 5'3". It is a Denali XL. That pearly white color...I love it! So pretty!

I'll have a picture post update soon! Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Oh no! I'm so glad they got the contractions under control. Take it easy, mama!