Sunday, October 31, 2010

PUPPS

I got diagnosed today.

You all know that I have been dealing with this awful rash and itching for the last few weeks. It has gotten progressively worse and worse. I woke up this morning with blood in my finger nails from the insane clawing I have been doing at my skin.

Not only am I literally tearing my stomach and upper thighs to shreds - but it has even spread to my hands. I have these insanely painful bumps on the palms of my hands and between my fingers. I just 100% couldn't stand it any more. I am NOT one to call the doctors office complaining like this. I have called twice this pregnancy. Once because I was having pre-term contractions, and another time because I pulled a muscle in my back and wanted something safe to take.

Well - I called for my third time today. I had to have David do the talking because I couldn't even get the words out without sobbing hysterically. The pain has gotten that bad. They sent me to L&D - seeing as it was obvious we needed to move on to oral steroids. Nothing else has worked.

I didn't take the decision to take them lightly. I know it really is a last resort. But both the on-call doc and the nurses felt like it was our only option. I thought - I either am going to take them or I am going to beg for a C-Section this week. I figured, it is better to take the steroids and pray for relief, and keep these boys cooking for 17 more days. So that is what we are doing. I am on a 10 day plan - doses starting high, then slowly going down to see how my body responds. I will still be doing my NSTs to make sure the boys are okay with it. And I have a growth scan on Tuesday.

Pregnancy is a wonderful gift. I fully believe that. But wow - this one is really testing my faith.

9 comments:

Amanda said...

Bless your heart. I hope the steroids help you!!! Keep us posted. Let me know if you need anything!!

Megan and David said...

Trade bodies with me!!!!!!! ; )

Lindsey B said...

I hate this for you Meg. We're praying for you...and for an ealier delivery with perfectly healthy boys!

Hoping for our own Peanut said...

I stumbled across your blog and had to say hellO!! I have a son from IVF that is about to turn 1. I start my meds for our FET in the next week or so. I really hope Ill be as fortunate as you and get pregnant the second round..wouldnt mind twins one bit. :)

So, congrats on your growing family! And Im sorry about the PUPPS. My sis had it and its just terrible.

cryercutie said...

Oh Megan I am so sorry about the PUPPS. It sounds awful! I will say lots of prayers for you and that the medicine gives you relief. PLEASE let me help you out somehow! Call me if you need to cry out the PUPPS or come and get Paige. Thinking about you daily and can't wait to meet those precious boys!
Lots of Love!

Megan and David said...

Thank you, everyone! I know I can make it. And it WILL be more worth it than I can even imagine!

Kristi said...

So sorry you have to deal with PUPPS....I can't even imagine. Hang in there.

Stacy said...

On NO! How miserable. Hang in there...just remember there is an end to it all that will include 2 beautiful baby boys!!!

Dre said...

The steroids will help. I promise. That was the only thing that eventually brought me relief. Just try to get a washcloth and itch with that. It won't tear up your body as bad as your nails and it will give some sense of relief. One of the nurses had me do that when they saw all the bloody marks from me tearing up my skin with my itching. I dreaded getting it with my second, and I never did. It is such an odd and horrible symptom, I am so sorry... hang in there!!!